Re: LibUnique as blessed dependency

Havoc

I've been promoting this idea for about a year now! You may recall
postings to this list about this topic from last July.

My own thought experiments have led me to believe that one process may
want to provide multiple "applications", for example F-Spot's basic
image viewer, and the F-Spot browser. You could either do this by
requesting two bus names, or by having separate addressable objects on
the bus. The idea on this Live page deals with the latter, but I'm not
100% sure it's the best approach. (You could, for example, have
org.gnome.MyApp and org.gnome.MyApp.Preferences names owned by the same
DBus client.)

http://live.gnome.org/DesktopAppsAsDBusServices

Due to lack of interest, it's been on a backburner. Some people
mentioned that it sounded like it was turning into Bonobo Activation,
and that "we've been down that path before", which was quite
demotivating to hear. Still, if you'd like to help me resurrect
something, Jabber me!

<xmpp:alex weej com>