Re: Discussion for a more robust panel layout

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 05:22:30PM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2007/7/8, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 16:58 +0100, Manu Cornet wrote:
> > >
> > > Recently the problem of changes of resolutions has been raised [1] on
> > > the usability list. I would like to start a discussion about how to
> > > manage the effect of resolution changes on the panel layout better
> > > than what we do today. This implies another way of storing the panel
> > > layout.
> >
> > Just store all locations as percentage of screen width/height.
>
> That would mean creating gaps between applets when growing the width,
> unless some special "keep me next to that guy"-states exist.
>
> I'd rather see some gravity settings ("always try to go towards the
> left edge"), since that's where you'll want to have the applets
> anyway, on the edges.

  Not true. Maybe grouping (if space_beetween applets <
half_panel_width, then move applets close together). Keeping applets
only on edges isn't practical -- it takes more time to differentiate and
target tightly grouped applets.
  I personally hate when unrelated applets end up together after few
resolution changes. I prefer this layout: http://nsm.pl/~niria/fckvm1.png

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl                                          72->|   80->|