Re: Remove libgnomeui where possible?

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 13:27 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
[...]
> > > But heres an idea... applications launched by the panel should be
> > > watched by the panel (i.e. SIGCHILD/waitpid())
>
> And applets of course, are launched by bonobo-activation-server. So that
> wouldn't really be all too helpful either.

Obviously, if we have control over all the code that is responsable
for launching apps/applets/whatever in the desktop, then its a nobrainer
to have these launchers properly monitor thier children (adding
gnome_spawn_child_with_handlers() to an appropriate lib should do
the trick).

Note that it also wouldnt work for apps that were spawned by other
apps either, but in a perfect world those apps should probably
be requesting the underlying desktop backend to spawn the desired
app for them - assuming the spawned app is also a desktop app
available from the application menus etc. (yes, I have a hard time
comming up with any creative solutions without assuming we will
one day be living in a "perfect world", or at least be striving for
it ;-D)

Anyway, its probably much cheaper (in man hours) to preload some segv
handler into desktop apps transperently as was already proposed

Cheers,
                  -Tristan