Re: Cairo-1.2.6 required

On 1/23/07, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
On 1/23/07, Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas broadpark no> wrote:
> tir, 23.01.2007 kl. 00.00 +0000, skrev Chris Wilson:
> > Hi,
> >       today I had the misfortunate to experience a crash with
> > gnome-terminal. Fortunately Carl Worth was on irc at the time and was
> > able to diagnose the problem as a known crash with cairo-1.2.4 and
> > forwarding an X display across a heterogeneous network.
> >
> > To quote,
> > "Oh, this isn't the stupid -= 4 bug is it?"
> > "If it's the bug we're thinking, then 1.2.6 should fix it."
> >
> > The suggestion is to update them minimum version of cairo required to
> > 1.2.6 in
> > http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies
> >
> I think we're really aiming to use cairo 1.4.x for GNOME 2.18.x so it
> would make more sense to update the dep to 1.3.12 which is the latest
> snapshot.

We are?  If the timeline is far enough ahead of GNOME 2.18.0 and
doesn't introduce any big issues for us, I'm all in favor of it, but I
just hadn't heard what the timeline for cairo 1.4.x is or heard anyone
proposing it?  (Did I miss it during those weeks I was gone trying to
finish my dissertation and somehow missed it when trying to catch back
up on things?  If so, could someone point me to the thread I missed?).
 Maybe Carl could comment?

cairo 1.4 is supposed to appear around the end of January, so it should not
be a problem to upgrade the requirements before gnome 2.18. I'd recommend
upping the minimal requirements to at least 1.2.6 anyway, since that has
some nasty bugs fixed (like the one starting this thread).

Matthias