Re: Proposed module: tracker

On Sex, 2007-01-12 at 13:08 +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> How much cpu does updatedb takes? It is what  we are using with
> gnome-search-tool right now. Everytime cron start it, it starts eating
> my cpu every day.

  This computer (work desktop) I leave connected during the night, and
updatedb only runs during the night.

  I have another computer (home desktop) in which I had a similar
problem with updatedb and I specifically (with hacking skills casual
users don't have) made updatedb run weekly rather than daily because I
couldn't stand having it launch when I was working with it.

  Tracker just seems to never stop indexing.  I know I have many
gigabytes of word and powerpoint documents, but that is not uncommon
these days and it makes my computer slowe _while I'm working with it_.

> Tracker don't have to  every file every day since it uses inotify and
> keeps track of what's been indexed. From a T-S-T inclusion point of
> view, I can't see anything but benfits.

  IMHO, an ideal indexing program would receive file add/modify/delete
notifications and record these notifications in a work queue for later
processing.  Then, when the user logs out or the screen is locked the
indexer starts processing the notifications, until the moment a user
logs in or screen is unlocked, at which time it stops.  That wouldn't
disturb me so much.  We we have utmp records for login/logout, and D-BUS
notifications for screen lock/unlock; this is doable, I'm sure.

PS: I'm not part of the release team; this is only my personal opinion.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.