Re: Proposed suite: developer tools

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 16:09 +0100, dodji Seketeli wrote:
> > If we did it now, we'll probably have Devhelp and Glade-3. For G20 we
> > might add Nerimeriver (how do you spell it?) and maybe Anjuta.
>
> It's Nemiver :-) Nemiver is the word "Vermine" reversed. Vermine means
> "Bug" in French.
> I hope this small explanation will help you  remember the spelling in
> the future :-)
>
> And yes. I think Nemiver _might_ be ready for proposal around the time
> of G20. Development is going forward apace these days and we are
> getting a decent amount of feedback.

I'm not a Nemiver developer, but I've followed its development. I'd like
to add that people don't need to be too worried that this debuggers is
not part of an IDE:

- Dodji and co. are developing abstractions around gdb (and potentially
non-gdb debuggers) that can be used by other applications. It's C++,
which you might not like, but it's better that the work is being done
somehow by someone - I'm sure it could be ported to
your-favourite-language in future if absolutely necessary.
- Getting debugging right is a big enough problem, and one that no Linux
IDE seems to have achieved yet, that I think it's a good idea to focus
on the problem in one application. The code and ideas can be used
elsewhere later.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com