Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

On lun, 2007-01-08 at 19:34 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Information about gnome-main-menu:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00221.html

I don't want to enter the "I like it/I don't like it" thread since I
have no particular opinion on it (I tend to not use a menu at all), but
I would like to raise some concerns about how g-m-m fits in the gnome
development workflow:

 - jhbuild buildone gnome-main-menu gives jhbuild buildone: A module
called ''gnome-main-menu'' could not be found.

 - there are no g-m-m release on
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/

 - the gnome-main-menu product in bugzilla has just 37 bugs open (which
seems a good thing), but the whole number of bugs ever reported is 41.
By randomly opening the bugs it seems to me that the g-m-m developers
are not very active responding on b.g.o and afaics most (all?) of the
patches submitted on b.g.o have not been reviewed.

 - I didn't find any announcement of g-m-m on gnome-announce-list

I am not pointing any fingers, every developer is free to spend his time
as he pleases, but I think that use of GNOME infrastructure and regular
releases synchronized with the GNOME schedule are important things to
consider when evaluating a new module.

The lack of easy to find releases and the fact that is not in jhbuild
also raises the concern of QA... I am sure Novell did a lot of internal
QA before shipping g-m-m, but test on other distros (for instance
without beagle available etc) is something to be considered.

ciao
	Paolo