Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 14:28 +0000, Bill Haneman wrote:
> As far as I know, gnome-main-menu hasn't had a thorough accessibility
> review.  As such, I'd be very wary of introducing it this late in the
> release cycle.    Shouldn't we have this discussion near the beginning
> of the cycle (say, 2.19.1) ?

The modules get proposed near the beginning of the cycle, and gives one
plenty of time to discuss them. In fact, I recall there was a nice big
flame war about whether or not it should replace the existing menus.

That said, I personally have put quite a lot of work into making the
main menu be accessible. There might be a couple of minor pieces in the
application-browser and control-center shell apps that need tweaked, but
overall it is quite accessible.

I've also written a suite of scripts to allow us to gauge the level of
support for accessibility in the desktop, which I feel have not gotten
the level attention that they deserve. These scripts really need to get
run and updated all the time. If some piece of UI changes in an
application, it can easily cause the script to stop working. It would
be really nice if we could get these scripts to be run automatically
by jhbuild in the tinderbox, so that we can ensure our desktop is
accessible, and that the scripts stay up to date, to avoid failures.

-- dobey