Re: Proposed module: tracker

Ross Burton wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 18:49 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
I have strong objections to the inclusion of tracker into GNOME 2.18.

Seconded.

[snip]

Yeah, those were what I wanted to say too.

so, in short, I'd wait *at least* until the next development cycle to
even think of using tracker.

Agreed.

possibly but it would be a shame if Gnome has nothing to compete with Vista when that comes out soon.

tracker is now in fedora and I have a Debian Developer putting it into debain and ubuntu so if distro inclusion is a good guide (which you asserted to last time) then why should it not be suitable for inclusion in gnome at this point?

"Tracker" is too vague -- is it an indexer, a metadata store, or what?
From what I've seen the metadata store isn't complete, and nothing uses
it, so if we add it for the indexer, do we get in development metadata
store too?  API churn and implementation change make this way too early
for inclusion into GNOME.

All I am proposing at this time is "tracker the indexer" and t-s-t - its not vague.

the metadata store is now complete and has rdf like relationships and multiple value support so all your previous criticisms should have been met.

API churn is not relevant to desktop modules AFAIK although I am expecting only minor adjustments there.

* (http://www.grillbar.org/wordpress/?p=173)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/