Re: Software installation using gnome

On Jan 6, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Toby Smithe wrote:

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 12:21 -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:

This is primarily why it's difficult to get commercial applications on
GNOME. They have to make packages for every flavor of distributions out there. We have yet to get a standard in package management.

Packages could just be installed, with all their dependencies, locally - like they are on Windows. However, this always seemed a waste of space to me: why have more than one copy of a library file installed?

Because the cost of disk space is less than US$0.0005/MB, and dropping. Of course there are other reasons for applications to use the same copy of a library (such as lower memory consumption and easier security updates). But if you are optimizing for disk space consumption rather than for the ability of people to install software *at all*, you are solving the wrong problem.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/