Re: eject buttons on the places menu

2007/1/5, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com>:
> I've always thought that notification area icons for removable drives
> was the way to go. These could be managed by gnome-volume-manager.
> People typically object to this if they have "permanent" usb storage
> devices connected. To this end there should probably be a way to
> disable icons for given devices.
>
> The n-a-icons would pop up the same menu on right and left clicks.
> Maybe even pop up a pestering notification bubble about properly
> ejecting the device when the device is mounted.

Wouldn't enabling the mounter applet by default do the same and be
easier to disable by advanced users who just don't want it there? The
notification area is supposed to have as few icons as possible, and mine
is already overpopulated with nm-applet and tomboy sitting there all
day.

The mounter applet is always visible. I don't know why I would want an
extra shortcut to / in my panel..? But functionality like the mounter
applet - just only show removable drives. It wouldn't hog you n-a
unless you have a "permanent" usb storage device attached - in which
case I suggested the possibility to hide certain devices.

Also, keeping track of this inside g-v-m instead of in a separate
applet would probably also save you a few megs of memory.

Cheers,
Mikkel