Re: First Post To A GNOME Developer Noobie

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 11:39 -0800, Redefined Horizons wrote:
[...]
> My first question is this:
>
> If I am writing code for the "back-end" of my GNOME Application,
> should I use GLIB types and try to extend GObject whenever possible,
> or is this only required for the GUI code?
>
> For example, I'll be creating an "object" to represent angles. Should
> I do this with a regular C struct, or should I subclass GObject?

IMO, Yes.

glib/gobject provide alot of great functionality that is usefull outside
of gtk+ apps and outside of the UI, also helps to keep your backend code
portable. Since I personally like using an OO design for my apps I
always use GObject when possible, so long as its not overkill for the
task at hand. (its always a trade-off).

> My second question is this:
>
> Where can I find user interface design guidelines for GNOME?

Here:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/

Cheers,
               -Tristan