Re: Removing the Multimedia Systems Selector from the menus

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:33 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> For everyone? I don't remember putting any specific code in Totem to
> deal with compiz/beryl. And apps that fail to work properly because Xv
> isn't available should be fixed...

Well, I don't know the details, I just know I had the issue on a project
of my own (I was at univ, so I was using beryl to show people how linux
can be cooler than windows ;-) usually I use metacity)

What I've seen is that totem's video widget gets gconfvideosink, tries
to make it ready, and if it fails, create a ximagesink instead. But not
everybody does that: people often just use gconfvideosink, or fallback
to autovideosrc which uses xvimagesink and so it doesn't work (that's
what pitivi did when I looked).

Maybe it's an issue in my setup (but I don't think so, it's a fresh
feisty install), otherwise IMHO that's autovideosrc that should be fixed
to handle that check anyway (but I don't know if it's doable since the
pipeline bus is needed to make the check) because requiring every single
app writer to perform that check is not a good solution...