Re: Proposed module: empathy

Jason D. Clinton wrote:

> I didn't say that I don't want Telepathy in. It's no secret that I don't
> like Empathy but I DO like the goals of Telepathy. I just happen to think
> that Empathy is a poor implementation of a Telepathy client. My question

There are still UI bugs in Empathy that I find annoying, but I wouldn't
call it a poor implementation, certainly not a poor implementation of a
Jabber client (I don't really know what would be a Telepathy client,
something that implement everything offered by Telepathy ?).

> At some point in the previous discussion, Jeff mentioned how well "telepathy
> fits in to the Topaz vision" (paraphrasing). Well, ok. Who's vision of Topaz
> and where is this master document? And when were the rest of us going to
> this a memo about this glorious vision?

There is no memo, and you probably know it.  Topaz is just an empty
word, an occasion to start the discussion about the future we want.

Bridging together applications and online services, this is all part of
something I'd like to see, and there are different projects in this
direction, they are not incompatible, telepathy, online desktop, etc.

I have little implication in those, I filed a few bugs again empathy, I
applied a few patches to JHBuild to help the online desktop effort,
nothing much.

> > Well. I didn't check the libempathy API, but my understanding is that
> > you wouldn't see telepathy, but just libempathy. And if we accept
> > empathy, it makes sense (at least to me) to integrate it wherever it's
> > useful. If it helps improve the user experience for multi-player games,
> > isn't this a feature you'd want to see?
>
> That seems backwards from the way I see it; I don't see why I would send
> game I/O over to Empathy to have it pass the data on to Telepathy when I can
> just talk to Telepathy directly...

As I said I have very little knowledge about how all things fit
together, but I know what libempathy-gtk offers, it is a set of widgets
that can be useful when adding "presence" support, a combobox with
available contacts for example.

Note libempathy-gtk has all widgets in use by the Empathy client (which
is just a thin shell) and I believe most of them wouldn't be useful out
of Empathy.

> Also, you seem to imply that empathy is going in to Platform in the future?
> Telepathy I can see, but why Empathy? Wouldn't that be an unnecessary layer
> of abstraction?

libempathy(-gtk), not Empathy itself.

> > Is there any important issue with telepathy?
>
>  From the previous threads, it didn't seem very likely the Gossip devs would
> relicense... But that's for them to say for themselves.

As I understood things this relicensing issue is about stuffs in
libempathy, libempathy-gtk and empathy itself, not in telepathy.

So, what are the issues with Telepathy ? :)

Regards,

        Frederic