Re: Proposed module: empathy

Le jeudi 20 décembre 2007, à 17:12 -0600, Jason D. Clinton a écrit :
> What happened to the discussion about blessed dependency on Telepathy and
> friends?

Sorry, I don't understand. The telepathy dependency is mentioned in the
mail you replied to, so you can discuss it in this thread. The mail even
mentioned "a few -1 from people ... or not wanting to use telepathy".

> I've already made my concerns about Empathy well-known so I will
> not repeat them here, but what I think is far more important to discuss is
> why telepathy should or should not be a part of the Gnome desktop experience
> out of the box. In the games module, for instance, there will be pressure to
> launch multi-player games from and over telepathy. I'm sure other module
> maintainers will feel the same kinds of pressures to implement this
> additional interface.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I had to read between the lines because you
don't explicitly mention what you mean): you mean you don't want
telepathy to be part of our desktop experience out of the box, and
you're afraid people will push a telepathy dependency in gnome-games
(and also other modules)?

Well. I didn't check the libempathy API, but my understanding is that
you wouldn't see telepathy, but just libempathy. And if we accept
empathy, it makes sense (at least to me) to integrate it wherever it's
useful. If it helps improve the user experience for multi-player games,
isn't this a feature you'd want to see?

> So in summary, WTF is Telepathy and Topaz and why should I care? (Or for the
> tin-foil-hat brigade: why does Nokia/Collabora care about this so much?)

Why do you mention Nokia or Collabora? Okay, I can understand
Collabora since many telepathy developers are Collabora people -- I'm
still left wondering about Nokia. And we're talking about a technology
here, not who's doing it.

Is there any important issue with telepathy?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.