Re: Multiple sessions for the same user?

Havoc Pennington wrote:
Hi,

Brian Nitz wrote:
One problem I hear about from time to time is when someone is using the same home directory for several sessions on different machines which may be running different versions of GNOME.

e.g. Logged into my NFS home directory on a laptop running Gnome 2.10 in ubuntu. Simultaneously logged into the same home directory on Sun Ray running GNOME 2.20 on Solaris Nevada. (and/or Gnome 2.6 on Solaris 10!)

I know we can't fix past problems (easily), but if we consider the possibility of this sort of use, we might make things better down the road.

Indeed. There are some past discussions of this. The challenge is that for all the on-disk stuff people have to maintain not only backward but also "forward" compatibility; you can't do things like add a possible value of a gconf key that will break older versions of the program.
I understand. Until then I can only recommend the hack to put different versions of GNOME config files in different subdirectories and use a script or manually port config file values between releases.
Unfortunately it's very hard to be sure nobody introduces any bugs of this type, in any application, between any of the possible combinations of GNOME versions... it's good to remind people of the issue and try to minimize the bugs, but without a pretty extensive effort to QA the behavior of GNOME releases in this context, I'm doubtful it will reliably work to mix arbitrary GNOME versions with a shared homedir, sadly. It's very easy to break this accidentally and in each release there are many changes people make that are likely to break it.
Yes, it is hard work to QA every combination of (N keys + R releases)! This is why when I receive complaints of such behaviour in unstable releases, I can only recommend to log the bug against failure of key portability in a specific combination of stable releases. I don't want to add anything heavyweight to gconf, but I wonder if associating stability values with gconf keys and key subdirs would help manage future portability and allow as much configuration inheritance as possible without breaking everything?

Havoc