Re: GNOME/Win32

Hi,

Piotr Gaczkowski wrote:
For me it is certainly a point worth achieveing, especially now, for we
have more and more interest in free OSes as well as we are dropping the
dependencies on pure UNIX thingies (dbus, dconf, pulseaudio). What's
your opinion?

I'd consider dbus and dconf steps forward for portability; dbus would be very nice on windows with a week or two more work, though granted we've gone years with nobody doing the week or two of work. dconf should also be much more windows-friendly than gconf is. However, both of these projects could use contributors to work on the windows port.

The new gio/gvfs stuff should also be more windows-friendly than gnome-vfs is.

It would be more forward-thinking to focus windows porting efforts on getting apps over to these new apis (dconf, gvfs), rather than focusing on horrible hacks to make some of the cruftier old gnome stuff build on windows. i.e. rather than porting libgnome, etc., get rid of them.

What's really needed here is people doing work (and doing it in a correct/forward-thinking/possible-to-get-into-the-mainline-libraries kind of way, not a quick and easy kind of way)

Havoc