Re: About SSL "Trick or Treat" Dialogs

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 11:48 +0000, Stef Walter wrote:
> >> Neither bugs.freedesktop.org or a DNS spoofed https site would be
> >> 'greenlighted' under my proposal. Just the opposite. It would be treated
> >> just like the untrusted connection that it is.
> >
> > If I have a bookmark (or link) to https://mybank.com and I go there, and
> > I see my banking site, and even the correct https URL in my browser
> > line, and the only indication that something went wrong is that the
> > I don't get a lock icon, that's not greenlighting?
> >
> > You can't expect people to be warned by the *absence* of something.
>
> True. It makes sense in the bookmark case.
>
> In other cases, if the scammer used or redirected to a normal http
> non-SSL connection, then then the only warning would be the absence of
> the lock icon and the 's' in the URL.

phishing is really a different issue; as Alex points out, the lock icon
has nothing to do whether you are getting phished or not... it simply
means that you are connected to the URL you tried to connect to.

My particular concern here is man-in-the-middle-attacks against the case
when you *are* connecting to the URL you wanted to connect to.

> > (Sure, ssh-style checking against history would help, in certain
> > cases, but you are still losing much of the strength of https.)
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Let's say some history checking of certifates
> -> domains was implemented, how that would cause a loss of strength in
> https? Obviously you've thought about these issues thoroughly, so I'm
> interested.

So, history checking can be effective against the case of hijacking
https://mybank.com, if made strong enough. (That is, if someone has in
the past seen a CA-signed cert for a site, then connection via a
self-signed cert is blocked, no if, no ands, no buts, no no dialogs.)

But that still leaves a basic premise here that I object to: that
a self-signed certificate is worth something. Roughly speaking, the
networking world is divided into two pieces:

   - The part that is mostly secure, with no sniffing possible.
   - The part that is completely insecure, with both sniffing and
     man-in-the-middle attacks possible.

Even when we remove the lock icon, if we pass a self-signed certificate
without objection we are OK'ing it, because the person creating the site
switched to https and didn't get any complaints from their users. And
because users connected to the URL they were given and it worked.

(Again, going back to Alex's point, making users focus on whether a lock
icon is their or not is actually counterproductive, because what users
will then assume is that the lock icon means "secure". Which it
doesn't.)

And I don't think that history checking can be used to upgrade the
security of self-signed certificates. Say, you tried to file a bug on
https://bugs.freedesktop.org and you got a message that the certificate
changed. When would  *you* think that it was actually an attempt to hack
your freedesktop.org password, rather than the admins changing the
certificate?

- Owen