Re: WAF (Was: build tools)

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 07:48 +0100, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2007 11:46 PM, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> > In case anyone is interested, feel free to try out a 100% WAF-ied
> > version of gnome-python:
> >
> > http://www.gnome.org/~gjc/gnome-python-2.21.0.tar.bz2
> >
> > The WAF based tarball (including a self contained waf script, which is
> > all you need to build) is 249K, while an autotools version is 424K.  I
> > could reduce the size even more if I removed configure.ac and the
> > Makefile.am's.  It also builds much faster, especially if you count
> > the ./autogen.sh part, though I didn't to get actual numbers.
> >
> > When I have some more time I will see about making jhbuild use waf, to
> > get people testing this new system.  Later, if no serious problems or
> > objections are found, I would like to switch to it.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > PS: try the '-p' waf option for greater eye candy effect.
> >

> Gustavo and others,
>
> In order to try out waf for your project you can have both autotools
> and waf build support in SVN. We did this for cheese  [1]. I believe
> also gnome-package-kit and package-kit have this
>
> For waf you just need the waf script in your main project directory
> and  wscript or wscript_build in all directories
>
> You will need waf from SVN to have correct localization report. You
> have to do the following
>
> svn checkout http://waf.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ waf
> cd waf
> ./waf-light --make-waf

And don't forget --strip, for a smaller waf :)

> Copy the resulting waf script to your project directory

Jaap, I am well aware of this, but I am not committing a WAF script to
each project repository is the best way to go. Each script is 100KB
semi-binary file.  Every time I update WAF I would need to essentially
add 100KB to the repository.

Perhaps it's better to just make jhbuild checkout WAF from svn.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic" -- Frank Herbert