Updating the icon cache (GNOME Goals)

Hi,

I just saw this http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/AppIcon about making
apps update the GTK+ icon cache during "make install".

This would be fine in a tarball-only world, but I wonder if distros will
just end up patching out that part of Makefiles, and calling
gtk-update-icon-cache on their own.

For example, in openSUSE we update the icon cache separately from
package installation, with the idea that the cache will only be updated
once even if many packages are installed.  (The really right way may be
to use an RPM %posttrans - no idea if that works.)

So, do we really need this in tarballs?

  Federico