Re: Proposed external dependency: libnotify

Hi everyone.

Deja vu. I guess I'll give the usual response to this thread :)

I had a blog entry a while back addressing exactly why I didn't want projects to do this. libsexy is not libegg and I'm not wild about having to maintain two copies of the widget.

libsexy is at this point bundled on nearly every distribution shipping GNOME, to my knowledge. These distros are shipping notification-daemon and libnotify as well. It's pretty much a de facto standard at this point.

libsexy itself is used by a variety of GNOME applications now including Rhythmbox, gedit and xchat-gnome.

I would love to get libsexy's widgets bundled into GTK+, but that will require some extensions to widgets such as GtkEntry and GtkLabel to allow subclasses to better hook into the PangoLayouts of the widgets (by providing a signal indicating that the layout has been created and can now be modified). This would get rid of some of the hacks we have to use in libsexy, which would increase the chances of getting into GTK+. Any help would be appreciated here.

In the meantime, I'll ask the same question as I did before. Can we just consider libsexy or notification-daemon a blessed dependency given how widespread they both are these days? Or just allow libsexy and use that as motivation to getting GTK+ in shape to be able to include its widgets?

Christian

On 7/31/07, Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 04:12 +0000, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:

> It is the daemon that drives the speech bubbles that are shown in the
> notification area on the gnome-panel. Christian explains:
>
> "notification-daemon *requires* libsexy. It can't be made an optional
> dependency, as SexyUrlLabel, part of libsexy, is the only way of
> providing a block of text without decorations that can contain inline
> hyperlinks."
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2006-February/msg00062.html
>
> It looks like thos: http://www.chipx86.com/w/images/b/b5/Sexy-url-label-1.png

Then why not just copy this widget to the notification-daemon source
tree? It's probably just two files and the problem would be settled. At
some point this funtionality will be integrated into GTK+ and this
little hack can be removed then.

Sven