Re: notification enhancements

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:15 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Christian Hammond wrote:
> >>
> >> You say there's no way imaginable to use libnotify, but I'm curious why?
> >
> > It just won't work. Look at the Mugshot notifications, look at what
> > libnotify supports. (If you don't want to install mugshot, just look at
> > someone's page on mugshot.org, the local client notifications are about
> > the same as the stacker blocks on the web site, except a little more
> > complex even)
> >
> > It isn't just a graphic design issue; Mugshot has all kinds of links and
> > thumbnails and a chat log and other stuff in the notifications. It would
> > be a substantially worse user experience if reduced to only title +
> > summary + some buttons.
>
> Thunderbird 2.0 is also another example of "things libnotify can't do".
>   It tells you that you have N new mail messages and lists some
> summaries and the first few lines of text, and you can click on a
> message in this popup and be taken directly to the mail itself.  It's in
> Rawhide/FC7Test4 if you want to check it out.

Libnotify can do that.  There is the ability to have links and D-Bus
callbacks.  Whether or not the way things are displayed is optimal is
another question.

Mugshot on the other hand required a whole lot more than libnotify could
give.  We could possibly extend the protocol but to do what mugshot does
efficiently would have required things such as layout files that were
rejected in the initial discussions of libnotify and the notification
daemon.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>