Re: notification enhancements

Hi,

Christian Hammond wrote:

You say there's no way imaginable to use libnotify, but I'm curious why?

It just won't work. Look at the Mugshot notifications, look at what libnotify supports. (If you don't want to install mugshot, just look at someone's page on mugshot.org, the local client notifications are about the same as the stacker blocks on the web site, except a little more complex even)

It isn't just a graphic design issue; Mugshot has all kinds of links and thumbnails and a chat log and other stuff in the notifications. It would be a substantially worse user experience if reduced to only title + summary + some buttons.

Another aspect is that Mugshot has the "stacker" concept where the notifications are one block out of a stack of blocks, but you can also view the whole stack either in the client or on the web site. With libnotify we couldn't do this either. It's important that the blocks look similar in popup form, and in the client and web versions of the stack.

Right now there's a tradeoff of course, where the Mugshot fancy notifications collide oddly with other notifications, but that's what I'm posting about fixing. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, though.

Why can't this use libnotify? Same reason as Mugshot? Or is this a part of Mugshot?

This one is just a short list of features not in the libnotify protocol (bold text in buttons, for example). It is less "extreme" than mugshot.

    A simple extension of that API would also provide calls or signals to
    detect idleness and fullscreen app / screensaver. Or perhaps it's
    simpler than that - maybe when an app is fullscreen or the user is idle,
    the daemon claims "I am showing something" and thus blocks all other
    notifications.

Not sure I follow this one.. If an app is fullscreen or hte user is idle, notification-daemon should claim it's showing a notification? Why?

I was saying first, you could have methods like IsIdle() or IsFullscreenActive()

but then second, maybe instead of having those methods, just have notification-daemon lie and say there was an active notification in those cases. Then other apps would not show a notification.

      - take over the notification service from notification-daemon and
        provide the same D-Bus API

This seems like a bad idea. We can do better. notification-daemon is pretty well established and people are used to seeing notifications, so suddenly pulling them out from under the user is probably undesirable.

The point would be to have mugshot display them instead; the user experience would be unchanged perhaps, if we got ambitious and cut-and-pasted or librarified the theme code.

Havoc