Re: vinagre (vnc/rdp client)

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 10:22 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Calum Benson">
>
> > > That was just a Java web applet checked in as a jar file, wasn't it?
> >
> > Yep.  It just means JDS can show an http address in the vino-preferences
> > dialog that's usable by anyone (firewalls permitting), whereas the
> > community version shows a vncviewer command that may or may not actually
> > be directly useful to whoever you're giving the instructions to.
>
> Perhaps if the source were checked in (or we could have a clear dependency
> on an Open Source project that provides the jar file), we could rectify this
> problem.

As far as I know there is still no reliable open source implementation
of a Java applet plug-in and the Sun Java plug-in is not really
cross-platform, at least I haven't seen it as part of the x86_64 JRE of
Java 6. IMO we shouldn't readd the applet to vino, if this information
is still accurate.

Jürg