Re: doesn't the session splash disappear too soon?

Hi,

On 4/4/07, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com> wrote:
-when adding beagle in the startup process, you go up to 15s

I'm interested to know what the overhead here is. Was Beagle run in a
previous session, and roughly how many files have been indexed?
Because:

* It could be that the Mono assemblies are getting pulled off disk.
If Beagle was run in a previous session, these should be warm in the
cache and this shouldn't be a problem.

* Beagle does a little bit too much work with its files backend in
building the in-memory directory model, but this would only really
impact you if you had a fairly large files index.  I'd like to know if
passing in "--backend -files" to the command-line helps this.

* Beagle doesn't start indexing until 60 seconds (by default) after it
starts, to avoid thrashing the disk at startup and slowing down what's
already a mostly IO-bound process.  So that's not the cause of the
extra delay.

Maybe we need a way to defer launch of most autostarted applications
after desktop is ready (ie metacity / gnome-panel and nautilus are
ready).

Certainly Beagle could use this.  There's no reason to start it until
everything else is loaded and running.  KDE seems to have this in its
autostart mechanism.

Joe