Re: Hal version for GNOME 2.17

On 9/19/06, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 16:12 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> I just saw on this page
> > http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies
> that the Hal version for GNOME 2.17 is 0.5.7, yet GNOME Power Manager
> 2.17.1 requires Hal 0.5.8. Has the page not been updated yet?

Not quite. gnome-power-manager *requires* 0.5.6, works better with
0.5.7, but if you provide 0.5.8 then lots of cool extra stuff starts
happening. New stuff includes cpu frequency scaling support and better
LCD integration.

I think the decision was to base 2.17 on 0.5.8[.x] as this is *vastly*
better than 0.5.7 but this is my own impression only.

Personally, I'd still prefer hal-0.5.8.x to be optional (as you have
done) until someone gets the build issues worked out.  Once they are
worked out, I fully agree with allowing the requirement to be bumped.
Worth noting is that if other Gnome modules decide to bump their
dependency before the build issues are worked out, then I'd prefer to
(temporarily, I hope) revert to 2.16.x versions of those modules.

I need to go push that proposal a bit and try to make it official...

Cheers,
Elijah