Re: getting on a longer release cycled

Hi all,

I think the focus in this thread is a little imbalanced. I think we
really, really need to focus on actually decided on what Topaz is
going to be. I feel that the lack of direction in the project to say
"this is what will be in Topaz" is actually starting to harm us - it
is making us look like we can't make decisions.

Much of the problem is that huge infrastructure changes cannot be
easily hacked on by a single person to gain enough momentum to become
Topaz. Sure, I have my idea of how Topaz should work, and I have
blogged about how the GNOME desktop should be contextual to a project,
and I also fleshed out ideas of interface with MacSlow at GUADEC. But,
I think need to sit down, and make hard decisions about what is
happening with Topaz.

There are distinctive connections and threads of similarity between
what people seem to want to achieve, and this seems to large fall into
the domain of people as top-level objects and such. But, I think we
need to get a core bunch of us together to sit down, thrash out some
ideas and actually start scoping out what GNOME 3.0 should look like.
I have a huge interest in usability, and Jokosher is a product of an
application domain re-thought around usability - I think we need to
decide on this before we start a flamewar about release scheduling.

 Jono