Re: getting on a longer release cycled

Elijah Newren wrote:
[1] I've often worked on big changes that couldn't possibly make it in
by the next release, including during code freezes.  Sure, I can't
commit it to HEAD when I'm doing so, but I can keep working on it even
during hard code freeze (in branches, of course), planning it out for
some later release.  How many years has work on compositing gone on?
I don't think a 9-12 month (or even 18 or 24) would have helped it
actually get in before the "next" release, nor that the overall
quality of it when it finally does get in would be any higher.

There's a good reason for this really; no matter how long you make the cycle, if you allow people to commit stuff to HEAD that essentially disassembles the engine and leaves parts all over the floor, you have a big problem - nobody else on the team can get anything done because they can't dogfood HEAD in order to work on their own changes. (cf. pre-GNOME-2.0 for an example of when this happened a lot...)

So, there's a reality that HEAD has to always be roughly working since lots of people are trying to work with it.

Given that reality, a longer cycle essentially does nothing to make it easier to make large changes, because a branch is required due to dogfooding, not due to the short cycle.

Re: the overall discussion, a couple points I'd highlight:
- perhaps the largest penalty for exceeding a 6-month cycle is that distribution vendors start maintaining their own substantial forks because they can't count on having HEAD in released form. - I don't think something like Topaz is even worth considering unless the community can figure out how to decide on some of the focus / target audience questions I've annoyingly raised ;-) if those aren't answered you end up doing the "petrified wood rewrite" (cf. http://log.ometer.com/2005-04.html) where it cleans up the code but you pretty much have the same thing as before. Just a .02

Havoc