Re: gnome desktop integration library

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 22:56 +0200, Chipzz wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > Why can't gtk depend on dbus? How do those reasons not apply to libgnome?
> >
> > I don't know, I'm asking. But there's no reason to just make an
> > assumption up front that gtk can't depend on dbus, or that gnome should.
>
> Because gtk+ is not just gnome. Gtk+ is also maemo. Gtk+ is also xfce.
> Gtk+ is also a possible choice for embedded apps on phones, pdas, and
> stuff like that. Gtk+ is also a library for very simple apps, where
> very tight desktop integration does not make sense.

Maemo already depends on dbus. Maemo is one of the big reasons that Ross
Burton has worked so hard on making evolution-data-server work with
dbus. XFCE is also something I would expect to depend on dbus. Because
embedded platforms are useful targets for GTK+ doesn't mean we will just
alienate them all by depending on dbus. If foo doesn't work well on an
embedded platform, and it's something that would be useful for
developers to have on that platform, we should be making it work better
on that platform, and encouraging developers that would use it, to help
us do so.

> As much as I think a gconf dependency would be a good thing for gtk+, gtk+
> is a widget library, not a library for tight integration.

GConf is a configuration storage API. Pretty much every application
needs a way to store configuration. I think we agree that GConf as-is,
is not sufficient to have as a dependency of GTK+. Havoc pointed to his
list of items that need to be fixed in GConf first. These simply need to
be taken care of.

-- dobey