Re: gnome desktop integration library

Chipzz wrote:
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Havoc Pennington wrote:

Why can't gtk depend on dbus? How do those reasons not apply to libgnome?

I don't know, I'm asking. But there's no reason to just make an
assumption up front that gtk can't depend on dbus, or that gnome should.

Because gtk+ is not just gnome. Gtk+ is also maemo. Gtk+ is also xfce.
Gtk+ is also a possible choice for embedded apps on phones, pdas, and
stuff like that. Gtk+ is also a library for very simple apps, where
very tight desktop integration does not make sense.

As much as I think a gconf dependency would be a good thing for gtk+, gtk+
is a widget library, not a library for tight integration.

But that's not a reason why _Gtk+ on Linux_ cannot have a DBus dependency, appropriately abstracted behind a "platform settings storage" API. Gtk+ on Windows can have a dependency on RegEdit, and Gtk+ on embedded systems can interact with whatever platform-native mechanism exists there.

[ We're probably talking about Glib, really, here, aren't we? ]

--
Andrew