Re: Playing a sound in GNOME

On 10/30/06, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
I think whatever is done, there needs to be a way for application "foo"
to play file "ding.wav" without worrying about the intricacies of
gstreamer. Don't get me wrong, the gstreamer API is great (and really
powerful) but somewhat complicated when you just want a "alert" sound
from the speakers.

I think we need to ensure that these kinds of things are simple for
application developers, but we also don't want to undermine the really
powerful GStreamer framework by stepping over it.

To me the solution here is a small API that talks to GStreamer that
makes these things easier. A very small Phonon equivilent if you like.
I am not talking about abstracting lots of sound backends away like
Phonon does, but just providing a bunch of methods to make a ding or
equivalent message which in turn generates the relevant GStreamer
pipeline.

 Jono