Re: gnome-system-monitor (temporarily) reverted to gnome-2-16 for GNOME 2.17.x

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 21:49 +0200, Beno�Dejean wrote:
> Le jeudi 26 octobre 2006 �3:44 -0600, Elijah Newren a �it :
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > It looks like you recently added a dependency on pcre to
> > gnome-system-monitor.  Since this isn't one of the approved external
> > dependencies at
> > http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies, I have
> > (temporarily) reverted gnome-system-monitor to the gnome-2-16 branch.
> > That's probably not the best long term solution so here are some other
> > possibilities:
>
> 	Please don't do that. I'm very disappointed : why haven't you talk to
> me before doing that ? I would have explained. I was about to ask for
> help for autotools...
>
> 	I'm working on a new feature and as my changelog entry suggested, this
> is a work in progress. pcre dependency would be optional.
> 	So unless gnome provides a decent Verson Control System (that would
> allow me to often commit my work (instead of doing big commits)), i'll
> continue to work this way. This CVS version was never meant to be
> released and i would have fixed it before releasing any 2.17.x. This is
> my development branch, it is often broken.
>
> 	Your revert just makes my little job harder : CVS sucks and it might be
> hard for me to re-revert.

I don't think Elijah touched gnome-system-tools CVS.
All he's done is listed the gnome-2-16 branch as the
one currently included in the release set.

We do have a policy in Gnome that HEAD should always
be buildable.  I think that extends to always being
buildable with the official dependencies.  If you
have substantial changes where good commit practice
dictates committing potentially unbuildable stuff,
you should make a separate unstable branch.  I've
done that a couple of times for Yelp.

--
Shaun