Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 17:20 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Aaron Bockover wrote:
>

> > How common will the music database be if the only application adopting
> > it is Rhythmbox? Maybe that thread can be restarted from a clean slate
> > on g-m-l, but I honestly would have no intention of using Tracker as a
> > backend to Banshee's library given the state of discussion on this
> > [proposal] thread.
>
> I would advise waiting for Rhythmbox to adopt it first before ruling it out.

That's sort of my point I think. Don't call it a "common" music database
(the original topic of the original thread on g-m-l in April) if
Rhythmbox is going to use Tracker at all. "common" implies that all the
players in the game are going to share it - that some decision was made
by other applications in agreement to use Tracker at all. I think the
choice to use tracker at all was premature - if that's the definition of
"common" we were going for.

> Sorry if this whole thread has gone astray but my initial proposal is
> still t-s-t + tracker for gnome 2.18 and thats what it should be judged
> on (IE its desktop search capability). We are fairly mature and stable
> in that area and thats why it has been proposed.

It's hard to even keep track of what anything in Tracker is, based on
the contents of this thread, and I'd still argue that you haven't
defined exactly what t-s-t is, does, why we want it, etc. (i.e. I'd
mirror Jeff's questions and persistent responses to yours here, so keep
continuing the loop...)

> People here have asked about the other interesting features of tracker
> and so I have been compelled to answer them on this list but that should
> not have any bearing on whether tracker is adopted or not.

But first and foremost, people here have asked you to sell tracker for
platform at the very technical level, and you have done so
sub-optimally. At the very best, this thread has turned into "what could
happen to Tracker in the future" and not "this is why we must put
Tracker in GNOME for 2.18 _now_".

--Aaron