Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:09 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Dan Winship wrote:
>
> > Are there any *currently existing* GNOME applications that make use of
> > tracker's data store?
>
> not as yet but they are being planned

What besides Epiphany is planned? It sounds like you are keeping things
secret.

> Has there been any interest coming *from
> > application authors* for porting their apps to use the tracker data
> > store?
>
> yes RhythmBox maintainer is quite happy to use tracker as its common
> music database and as Rhythmbox is not part of gnome desktop it only
> needs his permission. Hes also built a plugin for rhythmbox to get music
> files from tracker:

I remember from last April our discussion on this "common music
database" on g-m-l. You jumped in and proposed tracker back then as the
solution, and the conversation effectively stalled.

How common will the music database be if the only application adopting
it is Rhythmbox? Maybe that thread can be restarted from a clean slate
on g-m-l, but I honestly would have no intention of using Tracker as a
backend to Banshee's library given the state of discussion on this
[proposal] thread.

At this point there is a large amount of confused developers regarding
what Tracker actually is/does/etc. There's a lot of "this is planned,"
"it could do this," etc.

I'm not going to ask for specifics or clarification because I think
there are too many points that need clarifying and that clarification
has been requested many times before.

It seems like the discussion keeps looping at this point, and there's no
real coherent resolution on anything. Someone asks for a point to be
clarified, and the same answers keep coming back, just twisted slightly
from before.

Just my 30 cents or so.

--Aaron