Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 19:47 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

Be very careful with trying to put disparate kinds of data under the
same storage.

Read these articles:
http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailsum.html

And then consider whether you indeed want to put everything under the
same database.

Global indexers: good.  We need that.

Global metadata: good.  Does anyone but me miss the reliable, fast, and
simple metadata storage that we used in GNOME 1.2?

A database to put everything because databases can store EVERYTHING:
bad.

I agree 100%. This idea scares me to no end. We already have a database
that can store everything, its called a "filesystem". Having a
structured storage format for everything is just begging for problems in
requirements mismatches and storage safety (backups, reliability,
shared-nfs homedirs, etc).

I accept that and thats why tracker can do both (externally index or internal storage where it makes sense)

Obviously we need to find a balance where it is acceptable to internally store stuff.

Alexander Larsson Red Hat, Inc alexl redhat com alla lysator liu se He's a lounge-singing Amish paramedic looking for a cure to the poison coursing through his veins. She's a supernatural psychic nun looking for love in all the wrong places. They fight crime!

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/