Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 19:47 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> Be very careful with trying to put disparate kinds of data under the
> same storage.
>
> Read these articles:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailsum.html
>
> And then consider whether you indeed want to put everything under the
> same database.
>
> Global indexers: good.  We need that.
>
> Global metadata: good.  Does anyone but me miss the reliable, fast, and
> simple metadata storage that we used in GNOME 1.2?
>
> A database to put everything because databases can store EVERYTHING:
> bad.

I agree 100%. This idea scares me to no end. We already have a database
that can store everything, its called a "filesystem". Having a
structured storage format for everything is just begging for problems in
requirements mismatches and storage safety (backups, reliability,
shared-nfs homedirs, etc).

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a lounge-singing Amish paramedic looking for a cure to the poison
coursing through his veins. She's a supernatural psychic nun looking for love
in all the wrong places. They fight crime!