Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

Now that, I think, a lot more people know about Tracker because of this
thread, the best way to move forward isn't to push for inclusion in the
next release, since there's a fair amount of resistance to the idea, but
rather to move ahead and attempt to develop the technology with the
support of the incredible GNOME community.

I have been using tracker for a few months (since the move to sqlite)
and think it is great. I also use Beagle (for email searches, and
because its result tiles are more useful).

I was under the impression that (features aside) because Tracker is
written in C, there is greater chance that it could end up lower in
the GNOME stack.

Yes it has a DBus interface, and for 'search type' apps (nautilus,
deskbar, etc)  which query it DBus is probbably the easiest interface.
However if it comes into the platform then I look forward to seeing
some kind of libtracker-gtk library being written with;
* A tagging widget
* A media browsing widget (a treeview with Video, Music, Pictures,
like the one you see in all apple iApps)
* A tile derived widget for displaying a files metadata
* Generic treeview/iconview/tile results widget
* RDF manipulation functions
* lots of other crack

So, rather than a Beagle vs. Tracker flamewar, let's hijack this thread
into a discussion on how indexed metadata fits into our future vision
for the GNOME desktop, and talk about how additional integration points
in the existing GNOME application set might improve the user experience.

I think this is the chicken and the egg problem. If tracker comes into
GNOME then that gives application authors a central place to store and
lookup tags and metadata about objects.

Being in GNOME gives the incentive/reason for a libtracker-gtk to
exist, and it has the potential to make GNOME, desktop wide, more
integrated.

I suppose I can more clearly see the possibilities, and a roadmap on
how to get there if Tracker is in GNOME.

John