Translation memory app

I am a translator, and I have been looking for a GNOME translation memory application but only found Gtranslator (http://freshmeat.net/projects/gtranslator/) which can only be used to translate .po files but not any other kind of files.

How difficult would it be to take Gtranslator's code and turn it into a proper general purpose translation memory application? This is one of the very few fields (beside OCR) in which open source software seems to be far behind propietary, and just a little work could improve the situation since the code, I think, is already there.

Anyone interested in this? Or someone who could point me to a better place to raise the topic?

Regards.