Re: Introducing NewStuffManager

On 08/10/06, Sebastian Pölsterl <marduk k-d-w org> wrote:
Tom Tromey wrote:
> How does this relate to python eggs[2]?  And if it doesn't, why not?
> It seems to me that if there's an upstream project that handles a lot
> of this, then it would be beneficial to simply re-use it.

eggs are something like a setup wizard. You pack your files into an egg so
that the user can install the application easily. I don't know what you
mean. Do you want to support eggs as an download source, or what?

Python eggs provide a way to distribute the code, provide metadata
about the egg plus its dependencies, etc.  If the egg contains just
Python code, then it doesn't need to even be unpacked: the zip
importer can access the code directly.

So I guess a different way of phrasing Tom's question is:
1. why not distribute deskbar applet plugins as Python eggs?
2. if deskbar applet plugins could come in the form of eggs, why not
make NewStuffManager into a system for installing, updating and
managing these plugin eggs?

The repository file might just extract the metadata from the eggs so
that NewStuffManager could work out what needs to be downloaded.

James.