Re: Proposal: NetworkManager for GNOME 2.18.

(50 days to reply, isn't this cool?)

Le mardi 03 octobre 2006, à 17:39, Shaun McCance a écrit :
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 12:30 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 11:24 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> >
> > > Are you then proposing three separate tarball releases?
> > > Would you then split NM into three separate CVS modules?
> > > Where would each of those modules live?  (I can't imagine
> > > KDE being excited about KNetworkManager being hosted on
> > > Gnome CVS.)
> >
> > I don't think separate tarball releases are necessary, although that is
> > something we can discuss if its a requirement for GNOME merging.
> >
> > (KNetworkManager is already a separate release.)
> >
> > Right now both the applet and daemon live in GNOME CVS and are released
> > together.
>
> That's fine by me, but that's not the impression I got from
> your original proposal.  You said you're asking to merge just
> nm-applet, and making the daemon an external dependency.  To
> me, that implies that they're separate packages.

So, several people suggested that having separate packages would be
useful. I guess it's also useful for testing reasons and to send a clear
message that NetworkManager is not GNOME-specific. And also it'll be
easier to make new releases for GNOME releases. Things like that.

Is there any reason the NM hackers would prefer to keep only one
tarball?

Thanks,

Vincent

--