Re: proposed architecture evolutions for GConf

Davyd Madeley wrote:
On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 12:02 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

There are several ways to deal with a single-session, single-host
configuration engine. Real problems arise when the user can log in
several times on different machines, with a shared filesystem. With the
number of corporate users working over NFS, this is not something we can
ignore.

It is possible to write alternative GConf backends. I recall that Sun
have written one that uses LDAP, its name starts with an A, but I can't
recall what it is.

Would this solve your problem?

An example of the model of communications needed is the IMAP IDLE protocol. Clients have the connection opened up and the server polls the client when there are changes to the mailstore that they should be aware of. Multiple email clients can be monitoring the same folder at the same time. SSL or TLS sockets encapsulation provide encrypted communications and an authentication layer is used as well. The XAuthority token could be used as authentication token. I am suggesting that Gconfd clients need to be able to connect to a Gconfd server via tcp to a remote socket:port. Perhaps Gconfd should evolve to host multiple users on the same socket much like an IMAP server does. Consider offering a list of servers which could offer failover communications much like a secondary ldap server.

--d