Re: gnome-mount dependency loop, how to handle this?

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 09:49 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 22:45 +0100, jan jgc homeip net wrote:
> > As Archlinux distribution packagers, we would like to ship gnome-vfs with
> > a gnome-mount dependency. This will not work somehow because of a
> > recursive dependency loop:
> >
> > gnome-mount -> libgnomeui -> Libgnome -> gnome-vfs -> gnome-mount
> >
> > This will force us to build gnome-vfs two times: one time without
> > gnome-mount and after the whole chain has been compiled, another time with
> > gnome-mount support.
>
> You don't really need that i think. Enabling gnome-mount in gnome-vfs
> just means it'll exec gnome-mount at runtime. I don't think you need
> gnome-mount installed to build it.

But proper release practice would state that gnome-vfs should depend on
gnome-mount, for the runtime packages, which means that you would need
to have gnome-mount installed, to install gnome-vfs, so that you could
build the rest of the tree, up to gnome-mount. If the runtime gnome-vfs
package doesn't depend on gnome-mount, and were gnome-mount enabled, you
would end up with an unstable dependency chain, and gnome-vfs may likely
be unable to mount/unmount drives, as the tool used to do that, could be
missing.

I realize this has already been fixed by David's patch, but I had to
point out this possibility, as it is useful knowledge to have, in the
event that a similar problem occurs again, whether it be in gnome-vfs or
another module.

-- dobey