Re: PDFs for user-guide, accessibility-guide and system-admin-guide

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 08:42 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 09:39:07PM +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> > What should they be called?
> > 
> > "Applet" is in the Style Guide:
> >
> > 
> > If there's a better term, file a bug against it.
> For quite a while now we've been avoiding applet as the most
> overused word in the world. It is best to choose a more descriptive
> word, for example rather than having the battery applet, we call it
> the Battery Monitor. Other names include Clock, Character Picker,
> Notification Area, Deskbar, Weather Report, etc.
> I'm not quite sure how to handle this in terms of the style guide.

Yes, well, similarly we don't go around calling all of our
applications silly things like "Web Application" or "Archive
Application".  But when we need to refer to them as a class,
we use the word "application".

Without "applet", we have no suitable word.  We could talk
about panel controls or panel objects, but does anybody
really think that sounds better?

Apple has Dashboard "widgets", and I think Microsoft is
using the word "gadgets" for those applet-like things on
the sidebar in Vista.

Davyd, your GUADEC talk was entitled "A Better Future
through Panel Applets".  We can't use the word in all
our outward discussions and expect it never to appear
to users.  If we say applet, so will everybody else.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]