Re: Tomboy in Desktop

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> I haven't really heard much of a critical response to these ideas, just more
> "ber, Desktop, Desktop, Desktop, get it all in Desktop" stuff. Why does it
> need to be in Desktop? Why do we have to jam everything in Desktop? Can we
> ship it in Powertools (a suite that has been proposed a couple of times)...?

We don't have to jam everything in Desktop, but shipping it in a "power
tools" release with devilspie and nautilus-open-terminal is wrong,
because Tomboy isn't intended to only be useful for power users, it's
intended to be useful for *everyone*.

It would be useful to formally bless it *somehow* though. Going back to
your original post:

>  * If Alex wants to adopt the GNOME release cycle and strategy for Tomboy,
>    that's *fantastic*... but we can approach that differently.
>
>  * Let's give our users the ability to discover and cherish awesome third
>    party software for GNOME.

The big missing piece here is translation. Alex can't personally
translate Tomboy into all 52 languages, but the translators don't have
time to translate every single GNOME app in the universe either. So if
we want to consider Tomboy to be "in", GNOME should say "as long as Alex
sticks with the GNOME release cycle and obeys string freezes, the
translators should translate it along with the rest of the release". It
doesn't matter much what we call this state. (As long as it's not "Power
Tools" :-). Maybe bring back "Fifth Toe"?

-- Dan