Re: Baobab

<quote who="Emmanuele Bassi">

> > and the problem it solves for users, I think it is entirely reasonable
> > to suggest that it is a 'power tool'.
>
> That's where I don't agree.
>
> For me the system log viewer is a power tool.

Please don't make points by making irrelevant analogies with unrelated
tools. I've already noted my opinion of the system log viewer.

> > We generally think about delivering a complete, integrated user
> > experience like f-spot rather than a set of random one-shot tools.
>
> Then we should remove gnome-utils entirely, that's my point. gnome-utils
> is composed of one-shot tools by definition (utilities).

Many of which are entirely appropriate in approach and experience.

> As I said, splitting gnome-utils into its applications and then submitting
> for approval each and every one of them is a perfectly fine solution for
> me.

For various reasons, I think that makes a lot of sense, but it's unrelated
to the topic of Baobab.

> > I have often used the phrase 'greatest commmon factor' to describe the
> > kinds of things we ought to ship in the Desktop suite. It means shipping
> > things that are going to be appropriate for most of the different kinds
> > of users who use GNOME. How does Baobab fit in with that?
>
> By providing a functionality not available on the desktop up until now,
> and providing it integrated in the UI and in the interaction with other
> tools (gnome-search-tool and nautils).

There is a lot of 'functionality' we could jam into the Desktop suite
because it's not there already, so using a generic argument here is not
fruitful.

> > What is the user goal that we are trying to solve by including Baobab,
>
> Showing the folder structure from a starting point, in a way that conveys
> not only the hierarchical layout but also the size of every single node in
> the structure.

You are explaining *how* Baobab does what it does, not what the user goal is
that we should be addressing.

> If someone wants to code a patch for nautilus 2.18 and have it accepted by
> nautilus' maintainers, I'll more than gladly remove baobab from
> gnome-utils.

Backwards!

> > I'm not saying this to diss Baobab or your maintenance of gnome-utils, I
> > just want to make sure that the things we've achieved over the last six
> > years live on in the psyche of new maintainers.
>
> As you can see, those things haven't bounced on my thick skull.  Those
> things are why I love GNOME and contribute to it.

I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm just suggesting that your answers are not
correct.

- Jeff

                Patches are like Free Software love letters.