Re: Baobab

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Alex Jones wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:29:11 +0100
> From: Alex Jones <alex weej com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Baobab
>
> Hi Davyd
>
> Interesting to see that approach to portraying disk usage. Personally,
> however, I feel that anyone really wanting this kind of software would
> probably prefer to use something like Graphical Disk Map
> <http://gdmap.sourceforge.net/>.

Maybe having an alias for gnome-disk-usage would help users who would like
to swap out Boabab for somethinge else?

(Also if Gdmap were ever proposed for inclusion I would hope it would use
MB by default rather than MiB, as seen in the screenshot.)

> As an outsider to this whole process, though, I'm not sure I totally
> understand why applications have to be bundled into packages of vaguely
> related software like this.

Picking something helps focus translators and documentation writers and
other contributors.  It also gives a fixed point of integration.  Ideally
it should not prevent other tools being switched out in place of the gnome
recommended default.

> Can't distributions make their own minds up?

Past experience would suggest they can all make up their own minds in
entirely different ways (gnome system tools are a reasonable example I
think).  By making a choice gnome encourages standardisation but in some
cases distributions will continue to ship their own custom tools.

--
Alan  H.