Re: Tomboy in Desktop

Hi,

To the first quoted point, I don't recall ever rejecting Sticky Note import. Quite the contrary, I've advocated that we use a first-run import wizard to aid migration.

Serendipitously, in recent days, most of the major work for importing has been contributed by Sanford Armstrong in the form of a Tomboy plugin. Sanford's patch adds an item to the Tools menu labeled "Import from Sticky Notes". But as this is perhaps not the nicest or most discoverable mechanism I'm trying to figure out how to best integrate this code for a nice experience. Comments welcome.

To the second point, I have received very mixed response to the question of Tomboy's replacing of Sticky Notes. And we can see that mails to this list have expressed both points of view, with a slight bias towards the two coexisting (especially from those who actually use one tool or the other).

I place myself in the coexist camp, mostly because the interaction models among the two tools are very different (again, Tomboy ain't sticky). A user who is used to Sticky Notes would be very confused if forced to use Tomboy, and vice versa.

However, if the release committee believes that enforcing a single note-taking approach is what is best for the desktop, I think it makes sense to choose the solution which is novel, more scalable wrt the number of notes, less intrusive on user activity, supports richer note content, and which opens up possibilities for integration with other parts of the desktop.

-Alex

Jeff Waugh wrote:
 * Alex says that Tomboy doesn't replace Sticky Notes, he doesn't really
   want to migrate Sticky Notes data into Tomboy, and that Tomboy and Sticky
   Notes suit different use cases.

 * In my experience, users perceive Tomboy and Sticky Notes to fulfill the
   same (or similar) function.