Re: [Evolution-hackers] Memory consumption and virtual machines

I have to wonder if it's even worth ever merging the mmap hack into
Evolution at all. If the plan is to finish Zucchi's disk-summary branch,
which also solves the memory problems (afaik) as well as:

1. introducing an API for using cursors to get at message infos
2. better designed on-disk format that uses B-Trees

the problem with philip's mmap file format is that the strings that will
be hit for sorting/viewing/etc are all spread out over a huge number of
pages. I just see this being re-examined later to try and design the
format to better optimise it by compacting all the strings into a strtab
type thing.

I also don't like how it has to reload the summary anytime new messages
arrive.

I just don't get the feeling this is really all that well thought out
and it scares me.

I'd just hate to see a rush job come out of this

Jeff