Re: [Evolution-hackers] Memory consumption and virtual machines

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:46 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> I have to wonder if it's even worth ever merging the mmap hack into
> Evolution at all. If the plan is to finish Zucchi's disk-summary branch,
> which also solves the memory problems (afaik) as well as:

> 1. introducing an API for using cursors to get at message infos
> 2. better designed on-disk format that uses B-Trees

When? I'm also very interested in this for tinymail.

> the problem with philip's mmap file format is that the strings that will
> be hit for sorting/viewing/etc are all spread out over a huge number of
> pages.

My own tests indicated that it's as-fast as the old implementation. Some
test (like sorting) where even faster. I'm guessing mostly because qsort
doesn't make large jumps afaik.

I mostly fear NFS shared $HOME folders.

> I just see this being re-examined later to try and design the
> format to better optimise it by compacting all the strings into a strtab
> type thing.

That would be an excellent idea.

> I also don't like how it has to reload the summary anytime new messages
> arrive.

This is exactly the same as the current implementation. The current
implementation does exactly the same and isn't changed at all.

Look at the patch. It doesn't change anything to reloading the summary.

> I just don't get the feeling this is really all that well thought out
> and it scares me.

So lets test it then?!