Re: [Evolution-hackers] Memory consumption and virtual machines

Hi all,
I second fejjs thoughts.
Also i have been testing the patch for sometime now. Heres the
inference:
* The patch works in reducing the memory consumed during the initial
startup of evolution. And it does a wonderful job of that.

* The patch intends to fix the overall consumption of memory during the
usage of evolution, and it does *not* do that. I kept evo running with
this patch in for more than 8 hours and using Evo as i would use it
regularly. (Reading of new mails, changing folders....blah! blah!) and
more than a couple of hundred new mails later and modifying the summary
file as many times we lose the memory gain we got initially.
I *dont* have fancy graphs to display this information though - but i
surely have the data and the necessary information i need.

* mmap is *not* the solution to this problem - it helps to a certain
extent.

* Generating message list each we get a new message is bad enough - we
dont want to reload the summary file each time.

I still have not tested philips latest patches. I gather he has
improvised on the older patches. Would report on the patches after i
test them enough.

Cheers,
partha